Get Certified
775-465-2045 social linkedin box white icon

Here are some quick links to help you get certified.





If you are applying for certification or reciprocity in Nevada, you must meet all of Nevada’s eligibility requirements for the level of certification you are seeking.

Read more ...

Upgrade Forms

Continuing Education Approval Application

Continuing Education Approval Application

complete Application, send sample certificate and course approval application list calculated to show total hours that you are requesting approval for. 



Read more ...

Award Applications

NDEP Information

Exam Results

 Congratulations to the following wastewater professionals for passing their Wastewater Treatment exams April 2023.
Grade I
Kleier, Christopher
Grade 1
McBride, David
Grade 2
Cohan, Christopher
Grade 3
Churchward, Jen
Grade 1
Johnson, Stephanie
Read more ...

Certification Fees


(Collection System Operators, Industrial Waste Inspectors, Industrial Waste Operators, Wastewater Quality Analysts & Plant Maintenance Technologists): Make the checks payable to NWEA. Mail checks, correspondence, applications and renewals to the Certification Board, PO Box 98235, Las Vegas, NV 89193.
(Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators): Make the checks payable to NDEP. Mail checks, correspondence, applications, and renewals to the Wastewater Operator Certification Program, Bureau of Water Pollution Control, Nevada Division of Environmental Protection, 901 S. Stewart Street, Suite 4001, Carson City, NV 89701.
Renewals: Renewal notices are mailed at least 30 days before the expiration date; please e-mail us if you don't receive one; fee extends certification for two-year period.
Wastewater fee: $110.00
Non Regulatory fee: $130.00 as of May 16, 2020
Examinations: Proctored in Las Vegas, Reno, Elko, and Ely in March, June, September, and December; application deadline is 30 days prior to exam date.
Wastewater fee: $140.00
Restricted Wastewater fee: $90.00
Non Regulatory fee: $200.00 as of May 16, 2020
Restricted Non Regulatory fee: $150.00 as of May 16, 2020
AMP Computerized exam fee: $69.00 (to be paid when registering for exam)
Reciprocity: Be sure to include copies of your certificate/s, documentation of CEUS, Post-Secondary and high school diploma or equivalent and education experience. Your certification must be current in the state that you are applying from.
Wastewater fee: $150.00
Non Regulatory fee: $250.00 as of May 16, 2020
Operator-in-Training: Valid for two years and renewable after that. Includes cost of the Grade I exam. Converts to Grade I with proof of one year's experience and other required documentation.
Non Regulator fee: $150.00
Restricted Conversion
Wastewater fee: $70.00
Non Regulatory fee: $110.00 as of May 16, 2020
Replacement Certificate
Wastewater fee: $20.00
Non Regularoty fee: $20.00
Only applies to renewals that are postmarked after the expiration date
Wastewater fee: $80.00
Non Regulatory fee: $80.00 as of May 16, 2020
Return check
Wastewater fee: $25.00
Non Regulatory fee: $25.00
Read more ...

Drinking Water Operator Certification


Click here for Nevada Drinking Water Certification Program Website

Read more ...

Exam Schedule

Location: Elko - Ely - Reno - Las Vegas
March 23, 2023 - Reno (NWEA Conference - Grand Sierra Resort Reno) 9AM to 112PM
Deadline: February 23, 2023
May 17, 2023 - Las Vegas (Location TBD) 9AM to 112PM
Deadline: April 17, 2023
September 13, 2023 - Reno (TMWRF) 9AM to 112PM
Deadline: August 13, 2023
October 18 - Las Vegas (Location TBD) 9AM to 112PM
Deadline: September 18, 2023

More dates to follow!

Read more ...


Click below for more information
FAQ - Need to Know
Education Requirements
Experience Requirements
Reciprocity Requirements
Fee Structure
Study Material Suggestions
How to Apply for Certification
Why are there 110 questions on my certification exam?
Each standardized exam form for Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator and Collection System Operator includes 10 extra unscored questions that have not been used on previous versions of the exam. These are known as “pre-test” items and allow ABC to gather valuable data about the new items before they are included as scored items on future exams. Pre-test items are unidentified and scattered throughout the exam to ensure candidates answer them with the same care in which they address scored items. The pre-test items are not included in the candidate’s final score.
Credentialing standards provide for two hours to complete a 100 question exam. Nevada allows three hours. Even with the 10 added questions, more than adequate time is provided to complete the exam.
ABC’s exam development process ensures that qualified candidates are validating pre-test items. It also ensures Nevada’s ongoing participation in shaping future standardized certification exams.

What College Courses Count Towards CEUs for Initial Education and Renewals ?
College Courses Earning Full Credit  (1.5 CEUs per semester credit):
College Chemistry - up to 12
Mathematics area: Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Statistics - up to 12 CEUs. Does not include basic, introductory, or business math
Biological Science area: Microbiology, Pathogenic Bacteriology, etc. - up to 9
General Physics - up to 9
College Chemistry - up to 12
Engineering courses: Fluid Mechanics, Hydraulics, and Engineering courses not directly

College Courses Earning Half Credit  (0.7 CEU per semester credit):
Technical Writing - up to 3
Public Speaking - up to 3

Training opportunities - Visit the Events Calendar and the Training section of the website.

What is Wastewater Restricted Certification?
If an examinee takes and passes a grade I exam but does not meet all of the education and/or experience. 
Once the Restricted Operator meets the requirements an upgrade form must be completed and signed by their supervisor.  

What is an Operator-In-Training Certificate?
If an examinee takes and passes a grade I exam but does not meet all of the experience and education requirements they will receive an operator-in-training certification.  To be eligible to receive a grade I certification the applicant must:
Take and pass the grade I certification exam
Have 1 year of full time experience
Submit documentation of 50 hours of related training
Submit a copy of their high school diploma/equivalent
Once the operator-in-training meets the requirements an upgrade form must be completed and signed by their supervisor.  In addition to the upgrade form, the required education documentation must be submitted.

Does Nevada accept reciprocity?
Reciprocity will be considered from applicants holding valid certificates from all certification programs in the United States and Canada.  The applicant must meet all current education and experience requirements.  Upon approval of the applicant’s qualifications, reciprocity will granted one grade lower than the equivalent grade currently held by the applicant, with the exception that if an applicant currently holds the equivalent of a grade one certification that reciprocity will be granted at grade one.
*exceptions if you have received the ABC 2017 Standardized exam or greater, then you may be granted reciprocity without going one grade lower. *
The applicant must meet all current education and experience requirements.
Certificates issued by reciprocity will be designated as such.
Applicants who are granted reciprocity one grade lower than they currently hold may obtain certification at the equivalent grade by applying for and passing the certification exam at that grade.

How do I apply to take a computerized exam?
When applying to take a exam  there is a section to mark to take the computer,once your exam applications have been reviewed and approved you will receive an exam approval letter. 
The exam approval letter will provide:
The contact information for the testing service AMP.
Your identification number.
Instructions for applying to take the exam.
You will be assigned a 90 day range of dates.  You can schedule your exam any time during the 90 day period.

Please note that when you contact AMP to schedule your exam you will be asked to pay and additional fee directly to them with a credit card. *This fee covers AMP’s administration costs*

Are you a veteran?
If you have served in the military in any of the MOS’ listed in the US EPA From M.O.S. to J-O-B: A Guide for Applying Military Occupational Specialties (M.O.S) to Civilian Drinking Water and Wastewater Operations you may be eligible to receive additional experience toward your certification.
If your MOS was a US Navy Rating:  Utilitiesman (UT) or US Air Force Specialty Code: 3E4X1 – Water And Fuel Systems Maintenance you may be eligible to receive full credit for the duties that you performed.
This is currently limited to Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator, Collection System Operator and Plant Maintenance Technologist certifications.
Veteran Exam Reimbursement
The Nevada Water Environment Association has been approved through the LACAS program.  Qualifying veterans can now have their certification exam application fees reimbursed by the Department of Veterans Affairs.
If you are a veteran who has taken a certification examination any time after 8/20/13 you may be eligible to have your certification fee reimbursed by the Deparment of Veterans Affairs.  Here is the application to request reimbursement:
Application for LC Reimbursement
The completed applications need to be mailed to the Western Region address located on the second page.

Application for LC Reimbursement

The completed applications need to be mailed to the Western Region address located on the second page.

How many CEU's do I need to renew my certification?
  •  Grade I – 5 contact hours (0.5 CEU)
  •  Grade II – 10 contact hours (1.0 CEU)
  •  Grade III – 15 contact hours (1.5 CEU)
  •  Grade IV/V – 20 contact hours (2.0 CEU)

What is the Initial education requirements?

Operators seeking new or upgraded certifications are now required to meet minimum initial education requirements for each grade level, all of which must be wastewater related (as determined by the Certification Board). The education requirements are cumulative and include the previous grade’s education (e.g. Grade IV certification requires the Grade III education requirements plus two additional post-secondary courses). A post-secondary course is a college level course comprised of at least 36 hours of instruction (classroom, correspondence, or online) that the Certification Board deems relevant (i.e. wastewater treatment, chemistry, biology, math, etc).

  •  Grade I – 50 hours
  •  Grade II – 100 hours
  •  Grade III – 100 hours and two postsecondary courses
  •  Grade IV – 100 hours and four postsecondary courses

What are the Plant Classifications?
The NAC plant classification table was revised as part of the regulation change. The updated table more accurately reflects relevant treatment technology for each operator certification grade, and is less reflective of flow. The majority of facilities in the state will maintain their existing plant classification.

Plant Class

What are the Wastewater experience requirements?
Operators seeking certification are required to meet specific minimum experience requirements for each grade level. The experience must be relevant, as determined by the Certification Board. Operators can no longer obtain certification at grade levels higher than the classification of the plant where they are employed.
  •  Grade I – 1 year operating experience at a Class I (or higher) facility
  •  Grade II – Grade I certification and 2 years of operating experience, with at least 1 year at a Class II (or higher) facility
  •  Grade III – Grade II certification and 3 years of operating experience, with at least 1 year at a Class III (or higher) facility
  •  Grade IV – Grade III certification and 4 years of operating experience, with at least 1 year at a Class IV (or higher) facility
Read more ...

Policy & Procedures

Below you will find a link to the most recent Nevada Board of Certification for Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators Policy & Procedures Manual. In it you will read about some of these important policies:


•  Certification – Full
•  Certification - Restricted
•  Disciplinary Action and Enforcement
•  Examination Administration – ADA Compliance
•  Examination Proctoring Agreement
•  Examination Proctoring Policy
•  Information Requests
•  Instructions for Administering ABC Examinations
•  Nevada Administrative Code – Regulatory Program
•  Non-Regulatory Programs New Requirements Implementation
•  Payment Processing
•  Professional Code of Conduct
•  Reciprocity
•  Renewals – Continuing Education Requirements
•  Renewals – General Requirements
•  Testing Eligibility – Education
•  Testing Eligibility – Experience
•  Testing Eligibility – Military Experience
•  Testing Eligibility – Multiple Discipline Experience
•  Testing – Computerized Exams
•  Testing – Repeat Exam Failure
•  Testing – Written Exams
•  2018 NAC New Requirements Implementation

If you are applying for certification or reciprocity in Nevada, you must meet all of Nevada’s eligibility requirements for the level of certification you are seeking.

Except as otherwise noted, the policies & procedures contained herein apply to all certification disciplines administered by the Nevada Water Environment Association.

Policy and Procedures is currently not available as we are updating to meet the new regulations until then please see: Interim Certification Policy for NAC Revision Implementation

Read more ...



  • Collection System Operator Rules (.pdf 124K) 
  • Industrial Waste Inspector Rules (.pdf 123K)
  • Industrial Waste Operator Rules (.pdf 128K)
  • Plant Maintenance Technologist Rules (.pdf 124K)
  • Wastewater Quality Analyst Rules (.pdf 129K)
  • Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Rules (.pdf 145K)

all Rules are being updated, for more information please contact

Read more ...

Useful Links


Read more ...

Get our newsletter in your inbox

CONTACT US   linkedin