Nevada Board of Certification
Wastewater Treatment Plant Operators
May 17, 2010
Meeting was called to order at 1:00 PM
Attendees at DCSID, Zephyr Cove, NV: Kelvin Ikehara, Harvey Johnson, Joe Crim, and Jennifer McMartin
Via Telephone: John Solvie, Bill Shepherd
Absent: Starlin Jones, Adrian Edwards
Introduction of guest
Approval of minutes of February 11, 2010 meeting:
• Approved via email.
Program Administrator report:
• Computer exams update
o There are more computerized exams being taken all the time.
Assistant Program Administrator Items:
• CWP (Certified Water Professional)
o No action taken on this item.
• 25 year operator list
o John Solvie motioned to approve everyone on the list. Kelvin Ikehara seconded. Motion was passed.
• Exit Questionnaire Results
o More math training needed.
• Computerized pass/fail notification
o The computerized exam results will be sent to the Board monthly.
• California Exam process
o No report at this time.
NDEP contract/regulation changes
• Do we want to pursue mandatory CEUs?
• Do we want to push for additional mandatory programs?
o Laboratory is not mandatory anywhere in the US.
o Collections are mandatory in 3 states in the US.
• Fee increase
o An incremental increase may be an option. We need to come up with an amount that everyone will be able to live with.
o Bill will contact NDEP regarding the fee increase.
Continuing education participation update:
• As of May there are 31 participants.
Distance Education/Online Courses:
• No report.
Policies & Procedures:
• No changes at this time.
• Focus training on math.
Water Certification Board Update:
• Water Board Chairman Harvey Johnson stated that they are looking into offering computer exams for the drinking water exams.
• The water board will be discussing the CWP (Certified Water Professional) at their next Board meeting.
• It is hoped that ABC’s distance education review service will be rolled out by the end of this year.
• ABC had a third party psychometrics audit performed last spring. The audit findings will be used to enhance ABC’s testing service.
• Jennifer McMartin has been updating. Email addresses are now on the website. Mass emails will now be sent via the website.
New Business for Consideration at next meeting:
• Certified Water Professional
• NDEP Contract status
Next Board Meeting:
• Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 9:00am.